MoI Warns Users of WhatsApp Account Hacking
Friday, March 9, 2018
The Peninsula -- The Ministry of the Interior (MoI) has posted a video on their social media accounts warning WhatsApp users in Qatar to be careful and not fall victim to hackers.
MoI said that some users are getting a message from strange numbers with a link “call.me” or another link “please click the link to see the content”.
“When you click on the link, your phone will get hacked and they will have access to your phone contacts. Using this, the hacker will be able to send messages through to your WhatsApp groups or any of your contacts using your account,” the video said.
The ministry said that by doing the two-step verification, your WhatsApp account will be much safer. They also showed steps to get two-step verification:
1) Open your WhatsApp and go to “settings”
2) Go to “account”
3) Tap on two-step verification
4) Click “enable” the two-step verification
5) Enter a 6-digit PIN, which you'll be asked for when you register your phone number with WhatsApp
6) Add an email address to your account to be used to reset your PIN if you forget it and safeguard your account
Also, the MoI added that if your account is hacked, you can call the Combating Electronic Crimes Department: 66815757 - 2347444